Master plans evolve as development progresses

By Christopher Strupp

NIU officials will soon draw up a new set of master plans that will outline the future of the university for the next 40 years.

In 1988, officials set up a list of master plans consisting of long-term projects they would like to see accomplished.“We wanted to come up with a total strategic plan for the development of the NIU campus driven by the programming, academic and student needs of our university,” said Eddie Williams, executive vice president of business and finance and chief of operations.

The new set of plans will look at the development of the west portion of campus. NIU wanted to organize a plan so it knew what it needed and how to get it, Williams said.

The goal of the 1988 planning was to lay out certain specifications over the years to meet the needs of the university, Williams said.

Because of Dennis and Stacey Barsemas’ contribution, NIU could construct Barsema Hall, fulfilling one of the plans on its list.

The set of plans also includes a performing arts center, a second commuter parking structure and liberal arts and sciences classrooms and offices.

Partial list of NIU master plans (1988)

Near Term (+4 years) Faraday II (complete)

Student life center (complete – Campus Life Building)

King common/Carroll Avenue site improvements (complete – MLK Commons used to be metered parking) Lucinda Avenue improvements (complete)

Intermediate term (+8 years) Engineering Building (incomplete)

Founders Memorial Library expansion (planning)

Watson Creek improvements (complete)

Long term (beyond 8 years)

Liberal arts and sciences classrooms and offices (incomplete)

College of Business (complete – Barsema Hall)

Performing arts center (incomplete)

Arena (complete – Convocation Center)

Parking structure (incomplete)

Source: Eddie Williams, executive vice president of business and finance and chief of operations