Readers give input at Star forum

By Laurel Marselle

NIU students both criticized Northern Star editors Monday night and offered them pointers to improve the newspaper’s coverage.

Concerns included how coverage of cultural affairs events is handled and whether reporters are held accountable for stories they write.

Several Star editors said that reporters are always held accountable for their stories whether there are serious factual flaws or if someone had a poor opinion of what they wrote.

Audience members also asked whether a source can walk a story through the Star until its publication.

The editors said they don’t discourage people from checking in about coverage status, but it is the general policy to not show any part of a story – except quotes, and then only to the source – until it is published.

Audience members criticized the Star for not covering black student organizations’ events.

The Star suggested that groups create a press liaison to deal specifically with the media to facilitate working with the newspaper.

Students also asked why there is such a significance placed on the Greek fundraiser “Tugs” and why other events that have been around for just as long don’t receive as much coverage.

Star editors said “Tugs” has been around for so long people know to expect its occurrence.

The Star repeated the importance of following up on the phone and sending press releases to let the newspaper know about events on campus.

Audience members suggested that editorial board members and beat reporters hand down their contact information to successors to compensate for high turnover at the paper. Audience members also suggested implementing monthly or bimonthly forums of cultural organizations to see if they are receiving a fair representation in the newspaper.