LUCY makes thousands of connections

By Christopher Strupp

Despite a small glitch, the voice of NIU directory information has callers connected all over campus.

LUCY (Let Us Connect You) is a voice-activated directory service for NIU that allows users to speak the name of the person they are looking for and get connected directly to the person’s number.

The site uses the existing phone databases on campus to keep its information service updated. The service has been available for three years and falls under control of the NIUTEL Telecommunications Services.

When calling LUCY, the caller is instructed to give the first and last name of the person he or she is looking to reach. The system will ask the caller to repeat the name if it is unclear what was said. Once the service is aware of the name, it will search the database, give the number needed and connect the caller without charge.

“This is great for users because they can call this number and get transferred without having to hang up and redial,” said Teri Reid, manager of NIUTEL.

Students who requested their information be withheld by the university will not have their names available on the LUCY directory.

“If the student’s information has been suppressed, LUCY will not have your number available on the service,” Reid said.

LUCY receives between 1,000 and 1,500 calls per month. Those using the service may notice a small glitch because of the capacity of numbers allowed in the service database – numbers near the bottom of the alphabet cannot be reached – but Reid said the glitch has been identified and updates will be made to fix the problem.

LUCY does not replace NIU’s Campus Information Services (753-1000), which still is available to those looking for specific information.

“If the caller needs to find a certain office on campus and is unaware of where to start looking, the information services can answer questions and connect them to that office,” Reid said. “They do a whole lot more than just routing a call.”

LUCY(Let Us Connect You): 753.4000

Campus Information Services: 753.1000