ON THE ISSUES

By Nick Swedberg

Between the College Republicans and the College Democrats, various political science floors and Greek groups, NIU has a deep source of politically-minded and educated students. On Nov. 2, these and thousands of other NIU students will have the opportunity to cast their votes for president. This year’s campaigning – on both sides of the political spectrum – have dealt with issues ranging from fetal rights to the war on terrorism.

The campus’ political climate has yielded several forums and debates for students to voice opinion on these issues.

Several NIU students and student groups have voiced opinions during these debates; others have expressed viewpoints outside of these political arenas.

The George Bush backers supported his stance on the war. The John Kerry campers favored his views on abortion and gay rights.

And one independent voter stood between them . . . on the issues.

The War in Iraq:

Geno Orrico, freshman economics and accounting double major; Republican – People say Iraq has nothing to do with the war on terrorism. If we had left Saddam in, he could have wound up just like Hitler. He was doing some of the same things as Hitler was.

Ben Ogle, senior political science and history double major; Independent – I see the candidates’ positions on Iraq as very similar. Sen. Kerry hasn’t distinguished himself from President Bush’s stance.

Matthew Kapustianyk, graduate student at large; Democrat – Obviously, we were misled going into the war. President Bush put the troops in harm’s way without any direct evidence of weapons of mass destruction.

Abortion:

Orrico (R) – They believe it’s wrong to kill someone as a capital punishment but believe it’s right to kill an unborn child. That’s completely wrong.

Ogle (I) – I don’t think it’s something that should be used as a birth control procedure. I don’t think I’m in favor of banning it outright.

Kristen Erekson, junior mathematics major; Democrat – A woman’s right to choose should be protected. And there is something our president isn’t doing. An underage woman raped by her father would need to get permission from the father to get the abortion. That’s wrong.

Gay marriage:

Orrico (R) – You’re not going to find any Republican who doesn’t think anyone has the right to be homosexual. All I’m saying is, the only right they shouldn’t have that everyone else has is the right to get married.

Mike Celis, a sophomore political science major; Republican – Gay marriage is defined as an alternative lifestyle. Being defined as alternative, there will be other alternative lifestyles allowed [as well].

Ogle (I) – Personally, I think the issue should be resolved at the state level. I think it should be something left to the state, left to the church. It shouldn’t be a national issue.

Trevor Stocking, a senior political science major; Democrat – We can’t discriminate the rights we afford people.

Health care:

Paul LaLonde, a junior history major; Republican – I don’t really feel like paying for somebody on government stipends when I’m trying to pay for my own family.

Ogle (I) – I’ve been interested in looking into Sen. Kerry’s views on the potential for nationalized health care, assuming it doesn’t cut down on quality or expediences.

Kapustianyk (D) – It’s the same drugs, made here and shipped to Canada. Our legislators need to do something to keep these drugs in America.

Outsourcing Jobs:

Celis (R) – Outsourcing jobs increases productivity in the states. It’s the jobs in America that people don’t want, anyway.

Ogle (I) – In the end, outsourcing may be a benefit to the economy instead of protectionism.

Stocking (D) – Right now, there is a tax break for countries that take jobs out of America. That needs to be stopped right now.

Stem Cell Research:

LaLonde (R) – It’s wrong to harvest aborted fetuses for cells. It’s a sickening thought to me. How do they expect to harvest the cells? They are cutting open the baby and ripping it apart for its cells.

Ogle (I) – From what I’ve heard, it seems promising. It’s worth researching, given the potential health care benefits.

Stocking (D) – How can I tell my sister, who has been battling this terrible condition [Cerebral Palsy], that she doesn’t have the opportunity?