Barsema to offer advice on transition

By Justin Smith

NIU alumnus Dennis Barsema has been invited back to campus to give a presentation in the building that he donated $20 million for NIU to build.

Barsema, who was a management major at NIU, donated a large majority of the funds needed to construct Barsema Hall. NIU’s College of Business moved into the 144,000 square foot building in fall 2002. It is the most state-of-the-art building on campus, featuring a 375-seat auditorium, wireless Internet and LCD televisions that announce the latest business news.

The Three Sons Cafe, a gathering place on the first floor popular with students, is named so because Barsema has three sons.

“We wanted to invite him back to show appreciation,” said Michelle Gordon, a senior marketing major and president of the American Marketing Association, which organized the event. “We also wanted to start a new trend for AMA this year and what better way to start than Dennis Barsema.”

AMA is a business organization geared toward marketing. It is open to all years and majors and tries to help students with networking in the corporate world. The group also holds fundraisers and stages mock interviews.

“The AMA e-mailed him about speaking,” Gordon said. “And he got back to us right away. He seemed really excited to do it.”

During his presentation, Barsema will address such topics as the transition from college to the working world, how he became successful and ethics in the workplace. Afterwards, there will be a reception where students can meet him and ask questions.

“He donated the building to the college and now we actually get to see who’s responsible,” said junior accountancy major Robert Shaw. “Talking about the transition from college to the real world should give students a lot of insight.”

“I’m going to see what he’s all about and what he has to say,” said junior finance major Nate Kessen. “It will be beneficial to hear a successful businessman.”