Did Star do the right thing?

By Greg Feltes

The Northern Star got more than a few angry phone calls and e-mails due to a decision to run a certain controversial news story last week. No, not the “Love 101” Weekender cover.

Last Thursday, the Star reported that Jay-Z and R. Kelly were staging a series of run-throughs at the Convocation Center for their upcoming concert tour. One anonymous crew member said there was a chance the duo would perform a concert at NIU. However, Kevin Selover, the arena’s marketing manager, expressed concern that the Star’s story would prompt a security upgrade and prevent a concert.

Well, Monday came and went without a concert. There is no way to know for sure whether the Star’s story had anything to do with the absence of a concert, but it probably didn’t help.

Sweeps polled 30 random students for their reactions to the Star running the story despite the chance it could jeopardize a high-profile act from performing on campus. Out of the 30, 14 students said the Star did the right thing, 12 students said the Star shouldn’t have run the story and four students didn’t care either way.

“I feel that we should have known about it. I’m mad if security changes caused them not to do the show. I would have definitely gone.”

-Ann Green, junior early childhood education major

“It’s big news, but it seemed like the Star didn’t know anything. I wouldn’t have reported on it until I knew all the facts. If there was definitely going to be a concert, then they could have reported it. If there wasn’t going to be one, they shouldn’t have reported on it.”

-Lauren Poe, junior marketing major

“I think it was the right thing to print the story. The Star can’t predict what other people are going to do.”

-Mike McCauley a graduate student in communication studies

“If they really wanted to do it, they would have done it regardless. The Star shouldn’t take the blame.”

-Randall White, sophomore marketing major