Local police and business approve new Redline hours

By Sara Adams

Local law enforcement and bar owners have responded positively to the new Huskie Line bus route that will provide late-night transportation to students every weekend.

Redline – what some are calling a “drunk bus” – ran for the first time Thursday night, making stops at local businesses and bars in DeKalb.

“We are looking out for security and students’ safety, not necessarily driving safety, but we don’t want students walking around at that time of night,” said Aaron Langguth, the Student Association’s director of transportation.

The bus stops at nine places on Lincoln Highway, at the Stevenson, Grant and Douglas residence halls, on Greek Row and in College Park.

“A lot of people are going to bars and out on the town at that time of night,” said Sgt. Gary Spangler of the DeKalb police. “Between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. are peak times of intoxicated drivers on the road. So if that’s the target of the system, then it’s worthwhile.”

University Police also see the Redline as a good way to keep students safe.

“We’re always open and welcome to any service that makes a student safer,” said Lt. Matt Kiederlen of UP. “Anything that helps students move around and participate in late-night activities in a safe manner has to be considered a positive addition to the services available.”

Local bar owners are hoping that the addition of the bus line means more business.

“I assume it will help business. It should spark a little interest,” said Derek Nayden, manager at Molly’s Eatery & Drinkery, 1022 W. Lincoln Highway.

Nick Tsiftilis, owner of Starbusters Bar and Grill, 930 Pappas Dr., also thinks the new bus line is a great idea.

“It will bring people to my bar that normally wouldn’t come here,” Tsiftilis said.