Training for a lifetime

By Megan Rodriguez

When the image of personal trainers comes to mind, many think of celebrities and regimented, healthy weight-loss programs.

Brian Voller, a personal trainer at the Office of Campus Recreation Center, felt like anything but a celebrity when he was almost 80 pounds overweight.

“At one point in my life I was about 70 to 80 pounds overweight,” Voller said. “I put myself at great risk because I lost the weight by taking in painfully low amounts of calories and by exercising incorrectly for sometimes up to three hours a day.”

Voller, who knew he had to gain control of his life, decided to lose the weight on his own.

After meeting with a doctor who showed Voller the proper way to exercise, Voller said he felt he had an obligation to assist others on how to exercise safely and effectively.

The Rec has six personal trainers on staff who work in conjunction with graduate-level nutrition interns to help students diet and exercise properly.

Nutrition consultations are free for all students and Office of Campus Recreation members.

“I want people to enjoy their sessions; and I want to educate them on how to exercise for the greatest benefit to their long-term health,” Voller said.

Rebecca Lewis, coordinator of the Rec, said trainers are available for an average fee of $20 an hour.

“We have a variety of packages available for purchase depending on what an individual’s goals are and how much they want to spend,” Lewis said. “A personal trainer really helps tailor a person’s exercise plan to his/her needs.”

Lewis, a certified trainer, has a master’s degree in exercise physiology. She said one must combine practical experience, a degree and national certification to become a personal trainer.

“They can assist with training for a special event, weight loss, they provide motivation and encouragement and instruction on equipment use,” Lewis said.

Chelsea Meyer is also a personal trainer and aerobic instructor at the rec.

“As a trainer, I can help people make better choices about their health,” Meyer said. “Putting clients on a program will help them build muscle, which helps to burn calories faster, get them doing aerobic activity, which gets their heart rate up, and in turn burning calories. It also increases their flexibility, which prevents injury and will help them tremendously when they get older.”

The work must come from within the client’s self in order to be successful with a personal trainer, Lewis said.

To make an appointment for a consultation, call the Office of Campus Recreation at 753-9421.