Former NIU student leader dies after suffering injuries in crash

By Nicholas Alajakis

A former NIU student leader, who worked diligently for students’ interests, died Tuesday evening from injuries sustained during a weekend motorcycle accident.

Kevin Knight, 29, of Aurora, suffered severe head injuries when he crashed his motorcycle Saturday afternoon near the intersection of Industrial Drive and Lincoln Highway.

Knight, a 2000 NIU graduate, was involved in many campus organizations, including the Student Association, the NAACP and Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. As the SA vice president in spring 2000, Knight was a student member of the presidential search committee that was partly responsible for bringing NIU President John Peters.

It was on the search committee that Knight solidified his reputation as a student leader who was truly compassionate about student concerns, said NIU Judicial Director Larry Bolles, who had gotten to know Knight well while he was a student.

Knight routinely made sure students’ interests were kept in mind when a president was being chosen.

“Kevin always had concerns with improving life for students,” Bolles said.

Others who worked with Knight echoed Bolles’ feelings.

“He’s probably one of the best vice presidents we’ve had,” said Rick Clark, director of University Programming & Activities. “Kevin was always trying hard to make sure everyone was staying in line. He made sure students were not taken advantage of … He was the watchdog for that student body.”

Friends of Knight described him similarly.

Former SA president Troy Caldwell, a good friend of Knight’s, credits Knight with getting him involved in student government.

“He was very much involved with the university,” Caldwell said. “He was the mature voice … in our fraternity and in student government. It was an asset to have him around.”

But it wasn’t just Knight’s work with the university that people said they will remember. Caldwell said Knight was one of the most loyal friends he knew.

“He was a good person, very giving. He had a big heart,” he said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for him.”

Knight was pronounced dead at 10:35 p.m. Tuesday at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center in Rockford. He was airlifted to the hospital Saturday.

Police say Knight may have been going in excess of 80 miles per hour when he lost control of his bike, striking the curb at the intersection of Cotton Road and Lincoln Highway. DeKalb Police Lt. Jim Kayes said the debris field from the accident was 220 feet long. Knight was not wearing a helmet.

Caldwell said Knight loved riding his bike and many times did it as a way to clear his mind and relax.

Knight worked as a sales consultant for Pfizer Inc., a pharmaceutical company. Visitation information was not available as of press time. It is expected to be announced today.