Bill to reorganize CAB’s budget fails to pass

By Nick Swedberg

A bill that would have allowed the Campus Activities Board’s executives for next year to be able to reorganize its budget failed to pass at Sunday’s Student Association Senate meeting.

The bill allowed for CAB executives to review the budget, something that isn’t provided for in CAB’s constitution.

Several senators spoke out against the bill before it failed.

“In my opinion, this bill sucks,” SA Senator Hagar Allen said.

She said she thought the executives were not knowledgeable enough to be able to handle reorganizing the budget.

SA Senator Steve Illingworth said that if the bill passed, it would make all the work the SA Finance Committee did worthless.

CAB President Jen Suerth said she was not feeling well this past week worrying about the bill.

“Right now, we can go back on track,” Suerth said.

She said she was concerned that because of the wording of the bill, certain programming would not get funding if the bill passed. The bill had a stipulation that stated the final budget would have needed approval by the SA treasurer by Oct. 15. NIU’s Homecoming, New Student Welcome Days and Family Weekend happen before Oct. 15 next semester.

Bill Leahy, CAB treasurer-elect and SA senator, said he is disappointed the bill did not pass but still is looking forward to next year.

Also during the meeting, the senate approved the Men’s Rugby Club as the newest SA-recognized organization. The rugby club was suspended a year ago for hazing, and the suspension since has been lifted. The former president of the club, as well as other members, were involved in a naked scavenger hunt that resulted in the suspension.