Protesters demonstrate within bounds

By Nicholas Alajakis

Groups looking to protest on campus need more than an issue and a few hand-painted signs.

University policy requires groups or individuals to follow guidelines about time, place and manner, or risk penalties.

The guidelines are set so people don’t interrupt or disrupt the regular events of the university, said Rick Clark, director of University Programming & Activities.

Disruptions, according to NIU’s guidelines, include infringing upon the freedom of movement of others on the university grounds, blocking the entrance or exit of university facilities, interfering with the operations of the university or resisting a request to leave university property.

The rules in place have worked and should continue to be effective if they are not violated, NIU Judicial Director Larry Bolles said.

Bolles said a university is an excellent place for people to express their feelings, and administrators recognize that.

In the 1960s and ‘70s, protests occurred all over the country, including NIU. The large number of protests caused administrators to be lenient.

“You can’t stop rain from falling, and you can’t stop students from protesting,” Bolles said. “You have to have rules … but try to be lenient.”

However, Bolles added the university needs to consider the needs of faculty and students – which is why actions sometimes are taken. Actions include asking protesters to leave.

This type of request is rare, Clark said. That only would occur if protesters are not in NIU’s designated free speech area, located south of the Holmes Student Center, and if they are not affiliated with the university, he said. Even in that situation, Clark doesn’t recall ever having to remove a protester from university grounds.

Clark said he remembers a situation after Sept. 11, 2003, when a Muslim group wanted to get together in the King Memorial Commons. The group got a permit to hold a vigil. Another group wanted to counter the group at the same time and location but was turned away because it didn’t have a permit.

The second group was asked to protest in the free speech area. The event ended without any problems.