NIU event aims to fill up bowls

By Mark Pietrowski

NIU intends to fill the empty bowls of the community with its sixth annual “Empty Bowls” event Friday.

The event will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Adams Hall’s Chandelier Dining Room. Seating times are 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m., and reservations are required for the event.

Members of the Student Dietetic Association, Student Hospitality Association, Consumer and Nutrition Sciences and the NIU Ceramics Club helped organize the event.

The event is based off a project of the same name that originated in 1990 at a high school in Michigan.

A donation of $10 will buy participants food and a drink at the event, while a $15 donation will provide all-you-can-eat soup and bread, a drink and, while supplies last, a handcrafted ceramic bowl made by an NIU art student.

Katrina Idec, president of the Student Dietetic Association, said there were about 200 ceramic bowls made for this year’s event.

“Last year we made close to $2,000 in donations,” Idec said. “We hope to raise more than that this year.”

All donations benefit the Hope Haven shelter in DeKalb, and additional donations are welcome at the event.

Idec said she expects 150 or more people to attend throughout the day.

Parking for the event will be available for $2 in the NIU visitor’s lot near the Holmes Student Center.

To make reservations or for more information, call 753-1895 or log on to chandelierdining.hhsweb.com.