Priority deadline nears end

By AMY VANDERHEYDEN

Students in need of on-campus housing for the 1993-94 academic year are encouraged to turn in their housing applications by April 7, in order to maintain priority over new students.

Residence halls for fall of 1993 are filling up and a completed application form and check for $75, made out to NIU, are due by the deadline.

Students who do not have a checking account can make the $75 payment to the Bursar’s office in Swen Parson, where they will receive a receipt. The receipt and completed housing application form both have to be turned in to the Office of Student Housing in Neptune Hall.

Part of the $75 fee serves as a down payment and the other portion covers an administrative processing charge which is non-refundable.

After students turn in their application and pay their fee, the next step is to choose the type of living arrangement they want. Students have the option of living in single, double or triple rooms.

The number of single rooms is limited and the cost is an additional $475 per semester. Each residence hall, except Gilbert Hall, will receive a quota of single rooms.

Associate Housing Director Jack Felver said he believes the single rooms have a tendency to fill up before the double and triple rooms.

“There are still some singles left in Stevenson North and South but once they are filled the remaining people will be put on a waiting list,” Felver said.

Living in a single room is not the only option, however. There are a total of 120 spaces available for students who want to live in a triple room. There are large triple rooms available in Lincoln and Douglas at a rate of $25 below the normal double room semester rate.

Also included in the semester rate is the price of meal plans. Students are offered the choice of three meal plans: a la carte (available only in Lincoln Hall), a 14-meal plan and the 21-meal plan.

The residence hall room and board rates have been recommended to and are subject to approval by NIU’s governing board, the Board of Regents.