Retired NIU professor leaves behind a legacy

By Stephanie Gandsey

Recently retired sociology professor Herbert Rubin spent more than 33 years at NIU teaching students the importance of community organization and activism.

Rubin said he taught his students to “learn to be critical, question authority, never believe anything and listen carefully until you understand the meaning of what someone else said.”

Jack King, internship coordinator for the sociology department, said Rubin contributed much to the department.

“He was always what we like to call the conscience of the department,” he said.

King also said Rubin had a true sense of sociological curiosity.

“He was interested in fairness and equity. We’ll miss that about him,” King said.

Sociology graduate Sara Souther used to work with Rubin and said he always was willing to meet with his students.

“He was very into what he did, and it was hard not to see it,” Souther said. “You could really see his dedication.”

Rubin also created the Tom Paine discussion group for NIU faculty and staff to offer a forum for members to voice their complaints.

“We didn’t have a club on campus where faculty and staff could talk,” Rubin said. “I like to think about what’s wrong with the world and point it out.”

Rubin, a Revolutionary War buff, originally wanted to call the group by a different name.

“I wanted to call it Sam Adams until I realized it was a name of a beer,” he said.

Rubin said he also liked Tom Paine because he was an activist and changed things by putting his ideas into writing.

Rubin said his biggest disappointment was a lack of student activism.

“It’s sad how few students vote and register to vote,” Rubin said. “The younger people should be out there.”

Rubin also said he wishes classes were smaller because he likes working with students one on one.

“In mass classes, you can’t teach thinking,” Rubin said.

Rubin may have retired from teaching, but he currently is working on a book and still is active in the community, including speaking at city council meetings on different issues.