Newman Center offers alternative vacation spots for Spring Break

By Mark Pietrowski

For students who enjoy helping others and would like to go somewhere on Spring Break, the Newman Catholic Student Center offers students the chance to go on one of three service trips for only $75.

Director of Justice and Social Action Ministries Pat Mulheran said the trips are open to all NIU students who fill out an application.

The Newman Center offers a trip to Wyoming County, W.Va., in the Appalachian Mountains. Students who go on the trip will work in a variety of areas, such as home repair, elderly care, preschools and more.

The other trips offered by the Newman Center help Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian housing organization dedicated to bringing volunteers together to build decent, affordable housing for those in need, according to its Web site at www.habitat.org.

“I got involved with Habitat for Humanity in 1999, and I feel that helping a family build a home is a great experience,” junior communication major Emily Barrile said. “The work isn’t easy, but the reward in the end is well worth it.”

The two trips will take place in Fort Smith, Ark., and Florence, Ala. On both trips, students will help construct new homes and take part in a variety of jobs including siding, roofing and painting.

“Last year, we went to Arkansas, and we were building three houses at the same time, but it was a great time and a good way to make new friendships,” Mulheran said.

Students interested in applying for one of the three trips offered can pick up an application at the Newman Center or call 787-7770 for more information.

Saturday is the last day for students to apply.