Let me see your test

By LaShaunna Watkins

For students looking for the easy way out when it comes to grades, cheating carries a high price at NIU.

Any violation of testing procedures can be considered academic misconduct or cheating, said Larry Bolles, director of the University Judicial Office.

The price of cheating is serious, he said. The least serious punishment for students caught cheating is failing the class, and the most serious is suspension from the university.

Using cell phones during a class lecture or test is one of the first things students do to cheat, Bolles said.

“Students will either send digital messages through their telephones to each other during tests, or they will accept calls during these times,” Bolles said. “Some say that they use their cell phones during tests because their calculator is in their phone, or they are accepting calls because of personal reasons.”

In response to this, Bolles said students should buy or borrow a calculator before class.

Another issue is backpacks placed next to students’ desks.

“Students may claim that they have an expensive piece of jewelry with them in their backpack, and that they want to have it close to them during the exam,” Bolles said. “They should leave these items at home, and that way, it won’t be an issue.”

Students sometimes try to have other people take tests for them. This person is called a ringer, he said.

“TAs pay attention to where students sit in their class, and they will approach [students] if they look like they shouldn’t be there,” Bolles said. “I’ve heard of people running away from their exam – trying to get away without getting caught before they are confronted.”

According to Bolles, the penalty for sending a ringer is university suspension of the ringer and the person who sent the ringer.

Technology has been assisting students in cheating as well.

Texas Instruments makes a watch containing a dictionary, enabling students to put the answers inside, Bolles said.

Pointing a Palm Pilot at another Palm Pilot across a room can enable information to be transferred from one to the other.

Students from other universities also have picked up on ways to cheat.

Bud Banis, a business teacher at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, has put together a list of interesting ways students cheat.

“I’ve seen more stupid than interesting ways to cheat,” Banis said. “Some kids will go to the front of a classroom where papers are handed in and tear off the name of someone else and put their own name.”

It is important for students to know the ethical reasons not to cheat, as well as the educational reasons.

“Once students venture into the real world, they may come across people who will present them with ways to cut corners and jump ahead,” Bolles said. “Acting in an ethical behavior can prevent people from getting sued or even going to jail.”