B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. wants to help you graduate

By LaShaunna Watkins

Students can enlighten themselves and get graduation help with B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S.

The student organization is holding its sixth annual Days of Enlightenment. All this week, B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. will host educational events for students.

Van Amos, advisor for B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. and program director for the Center for Black Studies, said the organization hosts the events every year because of its commitment to help students graduate.

President of B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. Jonathan Harvey said he hopes the Days of Enlightenment will make the NIU community more aware of African-American culture.

“A lot of people are uneducated,” Harvey said. “The school system didn’t teach our history accurately.”

Amos said the event’s purpose is to allow black students to discuss being black in America. Amos said the event will serve as a chance for students to share their experiences.

“This event is designed to bring to light pertinent and relevant issues to the black community,” he said.

Author Delbert Blair will be a guest speaker today to discuss holistic health and nutrition in everyday life. Amos said Blair also will discuss genetically-modified food and maintaining a mental and physical balance with electromagnetic fields.

Representatives from local universities will be on hand for a graduate-school fair Wednesday.

The representatives will discuss fellowships and other forms of financial aid for graduate school, Amos said.

Thursday, there will be an informational meeting for NIU males looking to join B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. Also, Friday will be a movie night.

Amos said he encourages students to come to the events because they will be a great learning process.

“We encourage everyone to be involved in this program,” he said. “Students need to learn about issues that affect us the most.”