Student groups demonstrate against HES condom contest

By Philip Dalton

The controversy Health Enhancement Services stirred up last week by dispensing bags of condoms still hasn’t settled.

Several student groups organized and protested the actions of the administration in the King Memorial Commons Monday.

The College Republicans, Northern Kane County Right to Life group and NIU Students United for Life protested the recent condom contest sponsored by HES.

Last week, HES distributed 5,000 bags of condoms, each containing seven condoms, an instruction sheet and an anonymous rating sheet.

Students were asked to rate their preferences by Monday, March 15 on a one-to-10 scale on the basis of appearance, sensualness/comfort, smell, taste, lubrication and sense of security.

Members of the organizations distributed fliers to people passing by. The fliers outlined arguments against the use of condoms, and contained excerpts from articles in Newsweek and the New York Times pertaining to condom failure.

One quote from the Alan Guttmacher Institute stated that 47 percent of all unwanted pregnancies are due to condom failure.

Keith Berkhout, treasurer of NIU College Republicans, said the reason they organized the protest was to “let people know the truth about condoms and the myth of safe sex.”

Berkhout spoke about his displeasure with the NIU administration.

“We’re also embarrassed that our administration would be using student money to promote and advertise these condom contests,” Berkhout said.

Beth Gifford, a member of NIU Students United for Life, said she disagrees with people who decided to distribute the condoms. “People won’t admit that abstinence is the only way. If they don’t want the risks then stay away from sex,” she said.

The flier stated, “Those who promote the use of condoms are simply promoting the perpetuation of AIDS.” Gifford expanded on this by saying the contest promotes promiscuity and “fools people that condoms are safe.”

Gifford said protestors wanted the administration to know it was wrong to use students’ money to pass out condoms on campus. “We definitely disagree with this.”