Minors not welcomed

By Megan Rodriguez

Jimmy Sanfilippo doesn’t tolerate underage drinking.

Sanfilippo is the new partial owner and manager of Molly’s Eatery and Drinkery, 1022 W. Lincoln Highway.

Although the business is new for Sanfilippo and his family, he wants to make sure no underage drinking is going on in his bar.

For him, part of making sure no alcohol is served to minors includes preparing a well-trained staff.

“Underage drinkers won’t stop a trained staff who know what they are looking for,” Sanfilippo said. “We make sure there is always a doorman at the front door. We don’t take any tickets for driver’s licenses, and we make sure the doormen know their math. There are times when someone might have four days until their 21st birthday and try and get in because it is the same year on their driver’s licenses. Our doormen know to look at the month, day and year.”

Molly’s, despite the fact that some of their employees are under 21, continues to take precautions with even its own staff members.

“Some of our workers are under 21,” Sanfilippo said. “They can serve the alcohol, they just can’t pour it. We are very strict about them not drinking. We keep a breathalyzer in the back of the office, and if they have been drinking, we will fire them on the spot.”

Another issue that arises within the bar is making sure staff members card all people who enter the bar.

“We tell our bartenders and waitresses if they think someone at the bar is under 21, even though they got in the door, ‘card them again,’” Sanfilippo said. “If they get caught serving the person, they get fined as well.”

Although underage drinking is common at NIU, law enforcers want incoming and past NIU students who are minors to know the severity of laws and violations that can occur if one is caught drinking.

Lt. Carl Leoni of the DeKalb Police Department stated that students tend to drink more outside when the weather is good or when students are returning to school.

“If you go into a bar and drink underage, you will most likely get caught,” Leoni said. “It will cost a minor anywhere from $200-300. If you get caught drinking outside a bar, on a first offense, it could cost a minimum of $200.”

“Money is not the only concern” said Margo Ely, DeKalb city attorney.

“College students should realize alcohol charges result in fines, as well as the possibility of suspension of driver’s licenses depending on the disposition and charge,” Ely said. “Students coming to college have opportunities,” Ely said. “You don’t want to compromise them by engaging in illegal activity. There are other ways to have fun. It takes some time at the beginning of the school year, as kids get educated, to realize we are serious about this.”