Learning can occur without books

By Rick Clark

A warm NIU welcome to all new and returning students. The upcoming school year promises to be a challenging year of involvement, programs and events.

The Programming and Activities staff has been busy advising the Campus Activities Board and other student organizations as they attempt to plan concerts, speakers, films, trips, comedy shows and fine arts programs, as well as the traditional university events like Homecoming, Family Weekend, New Student Welcome Days and the Huskie Bash.

A lot of time and effort by student volunteers goes into planning events, and I hope that all NIU students will attend and enjoy this year’s entertainment and activities.

NIU provides opportunities for students to gain valuable out-of-classroom experience through their involvement in the Student Association-recognized student organizations. There are more than 200 organizations to choose from.

By participating in student organizations, you will receive more than a degree – you will receive an education.

Involvement aids in a student’s transition to a college campus. Through your organizational involvement you will learn leadership skills, apply your classroom skills, network with faculty and staff, meet new people, increase your sense of belonging and have a more enjoyable school year.

You will benefit from participating in these upcoming events:

· Huskie Bash, Aug. 21

· CAB Inflatables, Aug. 21

· Friday Fest, Aug. 22

· Free Movies and Fun Fair, Aug. 23

· SA Organizational EXPO, Sept. 18

· CPC Sorority Rush, Sept. 11 to 14

· IFC Fraternity Rush, Sept. 12 to 14

· Unity In Diversity Welcome Events, Aug. 23 to Sept. 19

· Fine Arts, Ahn Trio, Sept. 9

· Asian American Welcome Night, Aug. 17

· We The Planet Tour, Sept. 23

· Fine Arts, Flamenco Viva, Sept. 27

· Homecoming, Oct. 12 to 18

· Family Weekend, Oct. 31 to Nov 2.

· Many, many more.

Experience all there is at NIU. Work hard academically. Play hard through NIU activities. Come on out and GET INVOLVED!

For information, stop by the Programming and Activities office at the Campus Life Building, Suite 150, or check out the Web site at www.niu.edu/ups. Hope to see you soon.