Not fun in the summertime

By LaShaunna Watkins

During the summer months, some local businesses have experienced a decline in business operations and revenue because there are less students on campus.

Shelley’s, 901H Lucinda Ave., expected this decline. Sean Pratscher, a manager at Shelley’s, said the restaurant receives 10 percent of the business it normally has during the regular school year.

Despite the fact that students living in the residence halls have no meal plans during the summer, local eating establishments still have seen poor sales.

Foreseeing the decline in business, many establishments prepared for summer. Pete Lutz, owner and manager of Pita Pete’s, 901T Lucinda Ave., cut back hours, double-paid bills during the spring and canvassed DeKalb with coupons to attract more customers.

The first five weeks after the spring semester ended, sales were dismal, but speeded back up once summer school started, Lutz said.

Pratscher found the same to be true about Shelley’s sales. Shelley’s also decreased its hours of operation.

Some restaurants implemented a promotional strategy to increase business. For example, Shelley’s offered free delivery for a limited time.

Pratscher said such promotional strategies did not generate as much business as was hoped.

Some NIU students are noticing a drop in business for establishments they frequent.

“Many of the businesses are probably also doing poorly because students just do not have the money to eat out that often,” said LaShawndra Thornhill, a senior elementary education major.

The businesses are coping with slow sales and eagerly await the fall semester to begin.

Lutz said his business is best during the regular school year. He is receiving 20 percent of normal business compared to the fall and spring semesters.

Pratscher also anticipates the beginning of the fall semester, which will jump-start sales.

“More students means more raises,” he said.