Withdrawal doesn’t have to be a hassle

By Bonny Beaman

For students who are looking to withdraw from NIU, the process may seem overwhelming. But it can be managed without a huge hassle.

There were 518 students who withdrew from July 2001 to June 2002, said Robin Hendricks, assistant director of Registration and Records for records, public contact and transcripts.

However, those who do withdraw often do so because of a medical problem, a military duty or an experience of extraordinary hardship.

Kathy Jahns, administrative assistant at Student Affairs, said students who want to withdraw for a medical reason have to have a condition that prevents them from completing the semester.

They must submit their medical documents to NIU’s Health Services which will then determine the severity of the condition and decide whether or not to approve the request for a medical withdrawal.

Jahns said students then must request permission to withdraw from their major college’s advisement office.

Generally, a withdrawal form needs to be completed and an explanation needs to be given.

After being approved by both Health Services and the college advisement office, students should ask Student Affairs to review their case and determine what refund, if any, will be awarded.

Students who need to withdraw because they have been called to serve in the military must complete a similar procedure.

Jahns said they must notify their college advisement office, and they must also submit a copy of their military orders to Student Affairs.

Students looking to withdraw under the hardship category have to be experiencing a life situation, though not necessarily financial, that prevents them from continuing their college careers.

Jahns said these students must also get approval to withdraw from their college advisement office, and they must submit a letter explaining their situation and any supporting documentation to Student Affairs.

Students who wish to withdraw for reasons other than those of medical, military or hardship should not call Student Affairs but should discuss the situation with their college advisement office, Jahns said.

Students who withdraw from NIU may get some of their tuition and fees back, but the amount depends on when the student withdraws and the reason for withdrawal.

Hendricks said a full refund is given if a student withdraws within the first 15 days of a semester.

After this time, the amount is prorated, or dependent upon how many days of the semester the student has completed versus how many days of the semester are left.

Hendricks also said a 50 percent refund can be given from Feb. 22 through March 14, and a 40 percent refund can be given from March 15 through March 21. After March 21, no refund is given unless extraordinary circumstances are involved.

Students planning to withdraw must also talk to Student Housing and Dining Services if they are living in the residence halls.

David Dunlap, the coordinator of marketing and public relations at Student Housing and Dining, said students must notify them of their intent to withdraw in writing. The date the letter is received determines how much money is returned.

Dunlap said if a student signs a contract for the fall semester and then decides to not attend NIU, he or she may cancel it between May 2 and July 1 and only be charged $50, and if a student cancels after July 1, the charge is $125.

However, Dunlap also said if a student desires to withdraw from NIU and cancel the contract after the first 16 days of a semester, he or she is still required to pay for the room unless there are special circumstances involved.

Some of the dining plan money may be given back depending on how long the student has resided in the room.

For information on NIU’s withdrawal procedures, look at the online 2002-2003 Undergraduate Catalog at www.reg.niu.edu/ugcat/.