Delta Sigma Theta reappears

By Linda Luk

After leaving campus eight years ago, the Delta Sigma Theta sorority has returned to NIU bringing back traditions of public service, along with new members.

The African-American public service sorority was suspended in 1995 after charges of hazing. After its suspension, which ended in 2000, the sorority began the process of returning to NIU.

“For about a year, a year and a half, myself and others worked with the university to bring the chapter back,” said Debbie Brooks, the DST chapter adviser. “We want to come back to carry on what we do, which is public service.”

The national organization conducted a rush on campus last October where more than 100 women attended.

“I wanted to become a member for a long time,” said Tamara Jordan, president of Delta Sigma Theta. “I have family members who were part of the organization.”

Delta Sigma Theta officially returned to campus in November after initiating 33 women, making them the largest African-American sorority on campus.

“We are a group of very dedicated women, the cream of the crop,” said Jarquetta Egeston, vice president of Delta Sigma Theta.

The sorority still is in the progress of obtaining official recognition from the university. It is temporarily recognized by the Student Association and has become a member of the National Panhellenic Council and the All Greek Council.

Bertrand Simpson, associate director for the office of University Programming and Activities, said the sorority got caught for hazing about eight years ago. The sorority then was forced to leave campus.

“We were contacted by a letter by the national organization asking for us to consider it, and we said yes,” Simpson said. “I am glad they are back, I wish them well. They are an old organization with a long, glorious history. The campus is glad to have them.”