What some pay for education

By Robyn Clark

Editor’s Note: This is the second in a three-part series about NIU students who have to work their way through school.

It has become more difficult to have the wonderful, free-spirited college experience many of our parents regale to us. Rather it has become a life that revolves around class and work, with the occasional party thrown in to save sanity.

Since the tuition increase this year, many students have found themselves on a type of spectrum. On the one end, some students were affected so much it was not possible for them to return to school this semester. On the other end, though, some students are rather oblivious.

One student who has noticed, though, and works constantly in an effort to pay off his tuition debt is Jason Daniels.

As a junior time arts major, Daniels has felt the pinch of the recent tuition increase. While most college students are unwinding from the week’s worries at a Friday night party, he is just getting started – at work.

In an effort to at least put a dent in the ever-mounting debt, he forfeits the average college student’s weekend of partying and relaxing to drive to Wisconsin, where he works at Townplace Suites as the night manager.

“Every weekend, I drive three hours to make it to work on time,” he said. “I like the job, though. It’s easy and I make enough money where it wouldn’t take me as long to repay my school debts.”

His self-described “easy” job is helping him to pay the increasing debt his tuition is incurring. Tuition, which is currently $2,405.31 — according to www.niu.edu — is paid by Daniels and his loans. Because of his family’s income, he doesn’t qualify for standard financial aid and therefore must rely on bank loans. In addition to his hectic work schedule, he also is carrying a full course load of 15 hours, and most of these classes require a lot of time outside of the classroom.

“It’s frustrating,” Daniels said of his current lifestyle. “I have many classes, and I’m trying to get into a [time arts] major where you cannot try to take it twice. If I fail, then I have to go to another major.”

Ever since Daniels started at NIU in 2001, this has been his regular lifestyle. He drives three hours to Brookfield, Wis. (a suburb of Milwaukee), goes to work from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, then drives back to NIU on Sundays.

As one can imagine, his rather difficult lifestyle makes having a social life next to impossible.

A couple of friends had some comments on his rather difficult schedule.

“I think it sucks. He should be able to hang out and have fun like a regular college student,” senior business major Judy Dawson said. “But I understand, this tuition increase is no joke.”

Friend Leslie Vanderford, a junior computer science major, was sympathetic.

“I feel bad for him,” she said. “When he’s not in class or doing homework, he’s on his way to work. When he is not at work, he is either in class or doing homework. It’s like a never-ending cycle for him.”