Sweaters in the summertime

By Cara Donfrio

Walk into Cole Hall during this time of year, and you will see students wearing sweaters. Not unusual for the beginning of November. However, if you walk into the building in the steamy month of August, you will come across the same scene.

Students with classes in Cole Hall are aware of the building’s erratic temperatures. They also are annoyed by the situation but cope with it as best as they can.

“I always wear layers,” said Erin Lampi, a senior history major. “Right now, I’m wearing a sweatshirt. When class starts, I might have to take it off. You never know if it’s going to be hot or cold.”

Ariana Johnson, a junior psychology major, also is frustrated.

“It just annoyed me,” she said. “In the summer, you have to bring a sweater to class. It’s annoying having to carry around that much stuff.”

Both Lampi and Johnson have had classes in Cole for three to four years, and they agreed the temperature always has been a problem.

This unfavorable situation is not limited to the auditoriums. The fluctuating temperatures also have found their way into the basement and sub-basement of the building where Karen Grubb, NIU’s photographic technician, works. As she develops photos, she is very much aware of the effects of temperature.

“The chemicals need to be maintained at a certain temperature,” Grubb explained. “The ideal temperature for processing film is 68 degrees.”

Grubb said that last year the fluctuating temperatures in Cole were a major problem. They were so harmful, in fact, they contributed to an outbreak of mold in one of the classrooms in the sub-basement. The area had to be evacuated for five weeks while the mold was removed and the walls repainted. Classes were held elsewhere, including in Cole Hall’s Preview Room.

Grubb also said the basement of Cole, housing the building’s bathrooms, always is colder than the rest of the building. She did, however, offer heating services a word of praise.

“It was much worse last year,” she said. “This year, it’s been better. They do a pretty good job.”

Kevin Vines, chief engineer of the heating plant, offered an explanation for the temperature problem.

“A lot of it has to do with the switch over in the seasons,” he said. “We also sometimes have equipment breakdowns. We have computer programs monitoring the buildings, but we can’t go check every room.”

Vines added that he heard about the problem and that some repairs had been made in Cole Hall.

“The building has late ’60s construction,” he said. “Things break down.”

Vines said the number of buildings on campus and the number of problems in those buildings keep repairmen busy and prevent immediate repairs in Cole Hall from being done.

“If we start receiving calls that it’s a problem. It will be a very high priority,” Vines said.

Johnson said if there was a number to call to report the problem, she would, because the erratic temperatures are inconvenient for her.

Lampi had a bit of a different take on the situation.

“It would depend on what mood I’m in,” she said laughing. “If I’m annoyed, I might call. If I’m in a good mood, I might just deal with it.”

For interested students, reports can be made to Kevin Vines at 753-6090.