Who are the smartest jocks?

By Chris Jurmann

There are plenty of stereotypes associated with collegiate athletes and their ability as students. At NIU, some of those conceptions can be thrown out the window based on last spring’s grade point averages.

Among the athletic teams found at NIU, the women’s golf team collected the highest team GPA with a 3.31 followed closely by men’s tennis at 3.30.

The women’s golf team was led by a pair of seniors, including Amanda Mapley who has a 3.92 GPA in accountancy, and Janelle Warrick, who holds a 3.8 GPA in chemistry and biochemistry.

“It’s awesome. It’s been one of our top goals for the last three year’s we have been here,” Mapley said. “Our coaches always say academics come first, that’s why we’re here. Now we get to be No. 1.”

Both were recipients of the National Golf Coaches Associations All-American Scholar Golf Team. The award is given to any golfers who achieve a GPA above 3.5 and participate in over 66 percent of the team’s scheduled events.

With a 3.22 collective GPA, the cross country team has much to brag about as well.

“Academics is really ingrained because of sports,” cross country coach Shantel Twiggs said. “Being an athlete in college you need to be a student-athlete or else you can’t play.”

As freshmen, all athletes are required to complete six hours per week at study tables. Study tables are where the athletes attend to complete their homework assignments and make sure they are keeping up with their academics.

After their freshman year, if the student’s GPA is above 2.5, they no longer are required to participate in study tables unless that student’s athletic coordinator and coach decides otherwise.

Study tables are open for almost 60 hours per week and now are located at the Convocation Center.

When coming to NIU, each athlete meets with their athletic coordinator. The coordinators are members of the Student Athlete Support Services (SASS).

Staying on pace in classes can be difficult, especially when the team frequently makes trips away for its events.

Before the semester starts, coaches prepare a list of all the time the student will miss for the semester. The teacher then works with the students to come up with assignment and test make-up dates as needed.

Frequently, the student-athlete will take care of the make-up work before they leave for their event.

The players often spend long hours on the road and have opportunities to take care of a lot of their work there.

“On the road it becomes sort of contagious,” Mapley said. “First one person takes their books out, then the next person does and before you know it everyone is studying.”

The SASS also works hard to try and provide many opportunities so that the student-athletes can succeed here.

“We’re working on getting the students laptops that they can check out for the road trips,” SASS member Sandy Hafner said. “We even go with the teams sometimes to help tutor the players and provide study tables on the road.”

Many of the student-athletes can take pride in their work — that can be even more worthwhile to them sometimes than their athletics.

“[My grades] are going to be a prolonged success for me,” Mapley said. “Golf comes and goes as my career here is winding down. My academics, however, are going to take me further in my future career.”