Serious issues covered

By Stephanie Gandsey

Are you sending the wrong signals?

Through a unique combination of improvisational comedy, education and audience participation, “Sex Signals” raised issues dealing with the good, the bad and the ugly of interpersonal relationships Tuesday night at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

“Sex Signals” is an interactive play created by and featuring actors Christian Murphy and Gail Stern.

Murphy is an accomplished actor and Gail Stern is a former rape crisis counselor and stand-up comedian who has appeared on ABC’s “Politically Incorrect.”

The one-hour show first was produced and critically acclaimed as “The Sensitive Swashbuckler and Other Dating Myths” at Chicago’s Stage Left Theatre.

“We wrote the skit in May of 2000, and it took about a year to write it,” Murphy said. “It was originally marketed to the public about sexual topics instead of sexual assaults. We wanted to make sure it had its weight and that people would really be involved in it. By the end of this year, we’ll have about 100 shows done.”

The actors engaged in humorous dialogue dealing with the awkwardness of dating and date rape from their own gender’s perspective.

Audience members were encouraged to participate as the performers explored how mixed messages, society’s expectations and unrealistic fantasies contribute to the misunderstanding between the two sexes, which could result in sexual assaults.

Brooke Beyers, coordinator for the CAB Speakers Series, said the play was important because it informed college students about sexual assaults.

“I think it will increase the awareness of sexual assaults on college campuses and how our actions can send out the wrong signals,” Beyers said.

Gregory Huebbe, a freshman elementary education major, was one of the show’s leading participants.

“I thought it was very entertaining,” he said. “It provided a lot of information about sexual assaults and situations that could happen.”

Freshman business major Tiesha Lee said the show addressed topics both men and women should be aware of.

“I thought it was really good,” she said. “It showed that people have to understand body language, as well as learn how to respond verbally.”

Stern gave a personal account in which she was almost raped. She said when people are put in a threatening situation, fear can keep the victim from being aggressive.

“I froze and I was very lucky that he stopped,” Stern said. “He was prepared to keep going. And I was a date rape counselor, you know. I had been teaching this stuff for about eight years, so I knew better.”

According to the U.S. Department of Justice’s National Institute of Justice, fewer than 5 percent of sexual assaults or attempted sexual assaults are reported to the police. Also, nearly 3 percent of college women – about 1 in 36 – are victims of rape or attempted rape.

The performance provided tips on how to communicate more effectively and alleviate the possibility of sexual assault.

Murphy and Stern both know men and women have to cross a thin line when dealing with sexual topics and the roles each play in society’s stereotypes.

“We have to engage both men and women when we talk about sexual assaults,” Murphy said. “It’s two sides to every story.”

“Sex Signals” is the third of six programs in the CAB Speakers Series.