Professors strut their artistic stuff

By Casey Toner

Watercolors, sculptures, film, poetry and acrylic all are on display at the “NIU Faculty Salon,” an art exhibit consisting of works from art professors. The exhibit runs from Aug. 26 to Sept. 20 at the Visual Arts Building. The exhibit will be held in two galleries, the Jack Olson Gallery, Room 200, and the Graduate Gallery, Room 214.

“It’s a great annual event to see what my colleagues do,” said Elizabeth Vallence, an associate professor in art education. “It’s a wonderful variety of media with some surprises.”

Two notable exhibits include Jeffry M. Adams’ “Time Heals All Wounds” and Mara Zoltner’s “Memory Time.”

“Time Heals All Wounds” is an exhibit made up of 3,050 sheer strip Band-Aids. The other, “Memory Time,” is a shakable snowglobe with a picture of a grave site lingering in the snowglobe’s center.

“It’s very beneficial to the students to see what the teachers are doing,” said Katie Glade, an illustration major.

The “Faculty Salon” is sponsored by NIU’s School of Art and runs Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.Jenny gembala photo

Andy Pemberton, a sophomore art education major, and Amy Quinn, a freshman art major, check out some of their professors’ artwork last Thursday in the Jack Olsen Gallery. “The art is really interesting, and it is cool to see what the professors do outside of the classroom,” Pemberton said.