UHS fee increase request partially granted

By Rob Heselbarth

The President’s Fee Study Committee did not approve the full increase in student fees for the University Health Service at its Thursday morning meeting.

The current student fee for the UHS is $52.20 a semester for students taking 12 credit hours or more.

The requested increase in student fees for the health service amounted to 68 cents a credit hour. Added to the current fee of $4.35 a credit hour, that figure would have translated to $60.36 a semester for students taking 12 credit hours or more.

The approved amount of the student fee increase was 44 cents a credit hour. That figure added to the current fee of $4.35 a credit hour would translate into roughly $57.48 a semester for students taking 12 credit hours or more.

Donald Davidson, chair of the President’s Fee Study Committee and assistant provost for Resource Planning, said the UHS student fee request was diminished by 24 cents a credit hour

“The first 40 cents of the UHS request was divided into two components. Some of what was involved in the first 40 cents was not supported by the committee,” Davidson said.

“We didn’t feel that all of what they were asking for in their request was necessary,” he said.

UHS Associate Director Dana Mills said he was asked to leave the meeting while the committee decided on the approval of their request.

Mills said the diminishing of their request by 24 cents a credit hour could be the committee’s response to the original rules of the committee which call for separate consideration of student fees for salary and wage increments.

“The committee could just be holding off their approval of the 24 cents until they can discuss it further,” he said. “They might add the 24 cents on later.”

He added that if the 24 cents is not included in the fee increase it could create some budgetary problems.

“The deletion of the 24 cents would put the health service’s budget at zero carryover next year,” he said.

Mills said he did not know what the UHS options would be for obtaining funds elsewhere.

He added that the fee support they do receive will be used to fund what the request originally called for—inflation, a projected budget deficit and wage and salary increments.

“We try to match our distribution of fee money to our requests as much as possible,” he said. “However, in this case it might be necessary to do some reallocation of funds.”