Traffic troubles students and buses alike

By Robyn Clark

Typically, throngs of students outside of DuSable and Reavis halls anxiously await the arrival of a particular bus or ride.

A long line of cars snake around University Circle, honking their displeasure at the pedestrians quickly crossing the street.

Most people on NIU’s campus are all too familiar with another aspect of campus congestion – the traffic. In particular, the traffic problem at University Circle (the turnaround in front of DuSable and Reavis halls).

University Police Lt. Matthew Kiederlen said the problem has been noticed.

“We are well aware of the problem, and we are trying to come up with a workable solution,” he said.

Some students say the danger is apparent.

“They’re fearless. People just walk right out in front of your car,” said Leslie Vanderford, a junior computer science major.

People walk out in front of cars without regard for safety or anything else. All that seems to matter is making it across the street in time for class.

However, the same thing applies to drivers. Some drive faster than the speed limit or stop at a curb to drop someone off, causing further congestion.

“You have a large number of people trying to pick up people, going to classes and the buses are also in this area,” Kiederlen said.

Some students have their own ideas on how to alleviate the congestion, if not completely get rid of it.

“I think if they would cease with the construction, that would definitely help,” senior communication major Tracey Kelley said.

One student had another idea.

Judith Dawson, a senior business management major said, “I think there needs to be another street or something because it’s ridiculous trying to cross that area.”