Crows fly into the Convo Center

By Sara Blankenheim

For rock music fans, NIU has scheduled a concert featuring mainstream rock bands Counting Crows and Dishwalla.

The bands are slated to perform at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 25 at the Convocation Center.

Sophomore OMIS major Ryan Flynn was ecstatic when he heard the news.

“The Counting Crows are coming to the Convocation Center?” he asked. “Money!”

Despite the excitement, other students didn’t care so much.

Scott Odea, a junior visual communication major, said “Yipee,” while sarcastically clapping his hands.

Tickets for the show cost $27.50 and already are on sale. Students have had mixed reactions about the prices.

Freshman communication major Dan Walker thinks the prices are steep.

“I’d say [the ticket prices] are a little high for college students,” he said, “but I’d still like to attend.”

However, others who have followed the Counting Crows and Dishwalla a little more closely said the prices are not too expensive.

“I plan on attending. I spent $50 last time I saw Counting Crows, so the ticket prices here are well worth it,” said Sara Bennett, a junior English major.

In the past, on-campus concerts have been held at the 45-year-old Chick Evans Field House, which holds 5,000 people. The $35.8 million Convocation Center, which opened Thursday, seats 10,000.

Joe Coots, the center’s director of marketing and corporate sales, said he’s gained good feedback about the event.

“So far, I’ve gotten an extremely positive response,” he said. “I’ve received many calls asking when the tickets go on sale, and I’d say the buzz is definitely starting to generate.”

The Counting Crows’ tour is promoting a new single, “American Girls,” from the group’s fourth album, “Hard Candy.” The band is best known for songs like 1994’s “Mr. Jones” and 1999’s “Colorblind,” which was featured in the film “Cruel Intentions” that same year.

Opening act Dishwalla is promoting its third album, “Opaline.” Best known for the single, “Counting Blue Cars,” from 1995’s “Pet Your Friends,” the group recently was nominated for Best DVD-Audio Program for “Opaline” at the fifth annual DVD Awards in Universal City, Calif.

Tickets are on sale at the Convocation Center’s box office and all Ticketmaster outlets. They also are available by calling (312) 559-1212 or visiting www.ticketmaster.com.