Students, faculty react to bombing

By Wendy Arquilla

The NIU community expressed its opinion on Wednesday’s bombing of Iraq by the United States.

Almost two years to the day of the beginning of the war with Iraq, the U.S. and the Bush administration took action against Iraq for violating U.N. sanctions and moving anti-aircraft missiles in southern “no-fly” zones. Iraq has also raided allied territory to seize weapons and material left over from the war.

NIU students and faculty members had strong feelings toward the action taken by the U.S.

Political science Professor Daniel Kempton said the U.S. had to fully articulate the goals they want to achieve before action could be deemed right or wrong.

“If (the action) was a personal reaction of Bush to the recent needling from Saddam Hussein, the attack was wrong,” he said. “If the action was taken to attain a long-term interest of the U.S., such as restoring a balance of power, the action is more justified.”

Students, however, tended to fully agree with the action the U.S. took. “They did what they had to do and they had to stop Hussein from playing his games,” said Gary Griffin, a junior communications major.

Senior medical technology major Natalie Hyener also agreed with the action. “If we didn’t do something about it now, (Iraq) would have kept pushing.”

Graduate student Sarah Werner also agreed the decision was the right one. “We were justified in our action, since Hussein didn’t get the message before. But Hussein has to be out of power before our problems over there are solved.”

Bill McFadden, a senior political science major, said, “The U.S. has continually warned Iraq about their actions and the U.S was right to follow through on their warning.”

“I agree with the attack, but we should have gotten rid of Hussein the first time we were there. I hope this does not escalate into another war with Iraq, though,” said Staci Vandersnick, a senior history major.

One student saw the action in two different lights. Junior art major Jon Poblador said, “The attack has both good and bad points. Iraq should have been stopped, but I don’t completely agree with the U.S. involvement.”