Newcomers expected to step in right away

By Alex Gary

Schwankl, Stallworth, Lau and Alexander. These names are not as common as Hill, Conner, Wingis and Burkholder.

Yet someday in the future they will be the backbone of NIU’s rapidly rising women’s basketball program.

This year’s group of newcomers—three freshmen and one junior-college transfer—will have time to watch and learn behind established veterans at a program where the standard of success is quickly becoming no less than an invitation to the NCAA Tournament.

“They’re going to have time to develop,” said Jane Albright-Dieterle, NIU’s women’s basketball head coach. “However, (the newcomers) are good enough to give us help this year.”

Chelsea Schwankl, a guard who averaged 14.4 points and 4.4 assists a game last year in high school, comes from a two-time state champion program (Burnsville) in Minnesota.

“(Schwankl) is a natural leader,” said Albright-Dieterle. “She led her team to the state title single-handedly.”

Schwankl said she picked NIU over the University of Minnesota and University of Florida.

NIU over the Sunshine State?

“Everybody asks me that,” Schwankl said. “I just liked the team atmosphere, everyone likes each other.

“When I first came down here, all I saw were cornfields. But now that I’ve started meeting people it’s been a lot of fun.”

Charmonique Stallworth is another player with an impressive resume. She was a 1992 Indiana Miss Basketball Candidate after averaging 28.2 points and 10.8 rebounds a game at Washington High in South Bend, Ind.

Stallworth said she chose NIU over Michigan, Kent State and Florida State because of the program’s recent success and how the coaches and players related to each other.

“I liked the family atmosphere,” Stallworth said. “And (NIU’s) a program on the go.”

“We’ve been real pleased with Charmonique,” said Albright-Dieterle. “She’s extremely athletic, good hands, she’s going to be a great scorer.”

Dana Lau, unlike the above two players, is an Illinois recruit. Last year she helped Maine West High School finish third in the Illinois state tournament.

Lau, who averaged 10.1 points and 7.2 rebounds a game, was named to the IHSA All-Tournament team.

“I didn’t really look at any other schools,” Lau said. “I just fell in love with this program.”

“Where Dana fits in best with this system is her size and her rebounding,” Albright-Dieterle said. “Her rebounding will be her strength.”

Caryn Alexander comes to NIU as the first junior-college transfer Albright-Dieterle has ever recruited.

Alexander spent the last two seasons at the College of Lake County where she said she improved a great deal from high school.

Despite her improvement, Alexander had a little luck in coming to NIU.

“I guess (assistant coach Sue Semrau) read my name in the paper and that’s how they heard about me,” Alexander said.

Schwankl, Stallworth, Lau and Alexander. They are only learning now, but keep a close eye on those names in the future.