NAACP expresses concerns during meeting

By Gloria Carr

The Political Action Committee of the NAACP expressed its concerns about The Northern Star, police harassment, unity and parking problems during its meeting Tuesday night.

NAACP President Richard Baker questioned the style of reporting used by the newspaper. “The Northern Star is a good vehicle to help the community, but it’s hurting the community and dividing it,” he said.

Trevor Rice, chairman of the committee, said although he has been a strong critic of the Star, he has seen some changes this semester.

“I must say there have been minor changes, but they are still minor. There has to be major changes,” Rice said. The reason changes have occurred is because people took a stand, he said.

Rice said he plans to approach the Student Association about forming a panel to review the Star.

Committee member Yolanda Gill brought up the idea of taking funds from the Star to support an alternative newspaper.

“I feel that as a whole we can make a difference if we come together and take our funds from The Northern Star,” Gill said.

She said people only will take notice of their concerns when funds are withdrawn. “They are going to start to listen. It’s going to make them think,” she said. “We have to take the initiative to find other solutions.”

However, Ed Baker, a junior deaf education major, said he believes individuals need to take action by becoming involved with the Star.

“It’s really important for the individuals to join the Star. I feel the so-called bias reporting on the Star is important and so is the involvement of students,” he said.

Other issues discussed at the meeting include police harassment and the role the administration has in controlling the situation.

“You like to think these people (the University Police) are here to serve and respect you,” said Bertrand Simpson, an assistant management professor. “The administration has not forced them to treat you better.”

Simpson said students must make the administration take action. “The only way the UPs will treat you better is to get the administration to take action,” he said.

He recommended having students, parents, faculty and legislators join together to put pressure on the administration.

“The institution responds to pressure from outside,” Simpson said.

In addition to discussing parking problems, the committee also addressed unity and recommended organizations join together to support one another.

“Unity means many things. It means helping each other. A lot of the problem of unity here is the fact we don’t support each other,” Gill said.

The committee will be outlining solutions to these concerns and will issue a formal release in the future.