College of Law moves all fall semester courses online

By Haley Galvin

DeKALB College of Law Dean Cassandra L. Hill announced Monday all College of Law classes will be 100% online for the fall semester, according to a Monday email from Hill. Law school classes were originally scheduled to use a hybrid method.

The decision came after Hill evaluated the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, she wrote in the email. The hybrid method was originally planned in hopes that the virus was on a downward trajectory or stable by the start of fall. Since that is not the case, Hill decided it would be best to move all classes online, she said. 

“We make this decision reluctantly, but in the strong belief that it is in the best interests of the entire law school community and reinforces our pedagogical goals,” Hill said in the email.

Hill also wrote that the College of Law still intends to give the highest level of legal instruction as they do in person. The quality of the education will not be sacrificed. 

University services will remain open. In reference to law students, that includes the Law Library, the Dean’s Office, Information Technology, Career Opportunities and Professional Development, Student Affairs and Admissions, according to the email.

The College of Law will also keep their COVID-19 Clinic open for the fall as well. 

Virtual meetings are being held to assist with the transition to online instruction at noon Tuesday for incoming 1L students, and at noon Thursday for 2L and 3L students, according to the email.

“Like all of you, I am eager to be on campus,” Hill wrote.”  “We all had hoped that our state and nation would have been in a better position, but unfortunately we are not there yet.  We look forward to the day when we can greet each other again in the hallways and classrooms.”

More detailed information on proceedings and classes were sent out and included in Monday’s email to law students.