NIU student for Lincoln Laureate recognized

By Ray McDermott

A computer science major with an almost straight “A” academic average has been selected as NIU’s 1992 honoree for the prestigious, state-wide Lincoln Laureate recognition.

Jeffrey Chown, director of the University Honors Program, announced that James Huguelet will represent NIU at the Lincoln Academy honors presentation on Saturday, Nov. 21 in Springfield. Gov. Jim Edgar will host this event.

“Jim Huguelet exemplifies the best that we hope to foster in an honors student, including individual initiative, energy, curiosity and intelligence,” Chown said.

Huguelet, who is an Illinois Board of Regents scholar, was selected by NIU’s university scholarship committee from among 13 entries. He said he feels greatly honored.

“The competition for this award was very intense,” Huguelet said. “Receiving this award is a great honor.”

The non-profit Lincoln Academy, which is dedicated to honoring living Illinois citizens, presents Lincoln Laureate awards every year to one student selected from each of the more than 50 four-year, degree-granting colleges and universities in Illinois.

Selection criteria include “overall excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities.”

Huguelet is a member of NIU’s University Honors Program, the honor societies Lambda Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi and departmental organizations.

He also edited and revamped the computer science department’s newsletter and completed internships with Arthur Anderson & Co. in St. Charles, Amoco Corp. in Chicago and The Northern Star.

Rodney Angotti, chairman of the NIU computer science department, said, “He’s a marvelously-successful student, a wonderful representative for the campus and an excellent choice for the Lincoln Laureate.

“We’re very proud of him and look forward to having him as a graduate student.”

Huguelet was instrumental in the creation of an experimental interdisciplinary seminar on AIDS that could become a regular offering.

He will graduate “with university honors” and plans to pursue a master’s degree in computer science. He has a GPA of 3.97 on a 4.0 scale.

Other NIU Lincoln Laureate finalists were: Sarah Asvang, a geology major; Kimberly Brouchous, marketing; Kelly Eliel, Kolette Flood, Lisa Manning and John Meany of biological sciences.

Also: Jaqueline Engal, elementary education; Christina Gwozdr and Tony Lopykinski, finance majors; Preston Came, political science; Sherri Trent, communications studies and Kristen Wagner, accountancy.