2020 annual Clery report shows decrease in on-campus crime 

Getty Images

The annual clery report highlights the crime statistics for the 2021-2022 academic year at NIU and provides information regarding safety and security for the 2022-23 academic year.

By Ashley Dwy

DeKALB — Almost all on-campus police reports went down between 2018 and 2019, except arrests related to weapons and arson reports, according to the 2020 Annual Safety and Security Report

This report informs students of any reported crimes over the past three years. Yearly statistics are reported over a calendar year.

On the DeKalb campus, compared to 2018, weapons arrests went up from four total in 2018 to five total in 2019. Of those five, four were reported on campus, according to the report. NIU’s other campus locations have not reported any crimes.

Arson reports increased as well, from one total in 2018, which was on campus, to two total in 2019, which were not on campus, according to the report.

Reports for violence against women offenses have gone down. Namely, dating violence reports have decreased from 36 total in 2018 to 21 total in 2019, all of which were on campus. Of the total reported in 2018, 31 were on campus. Reports of stalking have also decreased, from nine in 2018 to four in 2019, all of which were on campus reports, according to the report. Dating violence is defined as violence in any romantic relationship.

Domestic violence reports have stayed the same, seven reports in both 2018 and 2019. Of that total in 2018, four were on campus. All seven reports in 2019 were on campus, according to the report. Domestic violence is defined as violence in any relationship, such as husband and wife, brother and sister, aunt and nephew, etc.

In 2019, alcohol-related reports have decreased. Alcohol-related arrests have decreased from 11 total in 2018, seven of which were on campus, to eight total in 2019, four of which were on campus. Alcohol-related judicial referrals have also decreased, from 100 total in 2018, 96 of which were on campus, to 87 total in 2019, 85 of which were on campus, according to the report.

NIU recommends downloading the NIU Safe App in the App Store or on Google Play, according to the report. This app has safety alerts from the NIU Police Department, and a safety walk feature that allows students to share their location with friends.

The university also recommends using the Huskie Safe Line or Huskie Patrol escorts when walking alone at night, according to the report.