BSU assured of relocation

By Gloria Carr

Members of the Black Student Union were updated on the new Center for Black Studies building Wednesday at their first meeting.

“It will take time, but I want to assure you this is going to happen. It’s a done deal,” said Dr. Admasu Zike, director of the Center for Black Studies.

Zike said a design for the building is due by Oct. 15 from the construction firm. A final design is due by the end of the month.

“We are going to be involved every step of the way,” he said.

The center will be relocated to the Kishwaukee House during the spring semester. Zike said the new building should be completed by July 30, 1993.

“I’m pleased with everything so far, I hope it continues to go well,” said BSU President Michelle Johnson.

The new house will allow the center to have meetings, seminars and conferences without having to use the Holmes Student Center, Johnson said.

“Naturally, I’m excited about the new house. I think it is long overdue,” she said.

Even though the center will be relocated further off-campus next semester, students shouldn’t be discouraged to visit the office, Johnson said.

“We won’t be as close, but people are still welcome to stop by. Don’t let that stop you,” she said.

Also at the meeting, the BSU discussed efforts they are making to work with other minority organizations.

BSU Vice-President Monty Bradley said a minority calendar will be organized to make sure BSU events do not overlap with other events.

Bradley said minority organizations will be asked to submit a list of events, and a deadline will be announced at a later date.

Other announcements included a Black Heritage Month meeting on Oct. 20, the deadline for Miss Black NIU applications on Nov. 20 and Present Perfect Modeling tryouts on Oct. 15.