SGA Senate appoints senator-at-large, approves student organization

SGA Senate The Student Government Association Senate unanimously approved its first senator for the semester at Sunday’s meeting.

Courtesy of NIU Student Government Association

Student Government Association logo

By Ashley Dwy

DeKALB – Clayton Schopfer, sophomore political science and Spanish major, was unanimously approved to be reelected into the Senate Sunday at the Student Government Association’s virtual meeting. 

There are now 16 sitting senators. Former Senator Mishawn Bryant was removed from the Senate due to too many unexcused absences, Speaker of the Senate Brad Beyer said.

Schopfer said he plans on conducting an SGA sponsored and run clothing drive.

“With winter coming, warm clothes are needed by many in our communities, and, given the current crises our nation finds itself in, I imagine help is needed more so this year than any other year,” Schopfer said.

To effectively conduct the clothing drive, Schopfer wants to partner with Goodwill, Salvation Army or Safe Passage, Schopfer said.

The clothing drive will accomplish two of Schopfer’s main goals: helping the community and promoting SGA, Schopfer said.

“I believe the best way to grow SGA is to show NIU students and the City of DeKalb that the NIU SGA can and does make a significant impact in their lives by organizing something simple like this and showing the community that we are doing what we can to help them during this time,” Schopfer said.

Student organization approved

Glam Squad was approved as a new student organization with a vote of 13 in favor, zero against and one abstention. 

Glam Squad is a one-stop-shop that provides beauty services to different students, Representative Ambria Tatum said. 

“Because beauty is a broad topic for us, we consider ourselves to be a one-stop-shop,” Tatum said, “So, our mission is to embrace inner and outer beauty so everyone looks and feels amazing.

Glam Squad also allows for its members to perfect their personal craft, enhance their skills and build a clientele, she said. 

Glam Squad is still working on their online outreach to students and their community service due to COVID-19, Tatum said

“We would like to do community service at least once every three to two months, kind of seeing how everything is locked down and we don’t really have a lot going on,” Tatum said. “The food pantry offers us the ability to come in and help if the time slots are available, so we do send a few representatives at that time.”