Huskies gymnastic wins, increases record to 2-0

By Wes Sanderdson, Reporter

DeKALB — Huskies gymnastics advanced to 2-0 in the Mid-American Conference Standings after a 193.150-179.525 victory against the Bowling Green State University Falcons Sunday at the NIU Convocation Center.

The team was led behind strong team performances on the uneven bars and the teams floor exercise rotation. The Huskies team score on the bars tallied a total of 48.875. Sophomore Brookelyn Sears posted NIU’s highest individual score on bars with a 9.850 while fellow sophomore Natalie Hamp recorded a second place finish with a score of 9.800.

On the teams floor rotation, the Huskies stayed strong recording a team score of 48.825. Junior Tara Kofmehl led the floor squad with a routine score of 9.875 while senior Gabby Welch followed Kofmehl with a 9.775 to take second on floor. Junior Nicolette DiPrisco also medaled on floor with a third place score of 9.750.

Though the defending MAC champions had two strong events Sunday, the team struggled on both the vault and beam portions of the exhibition, recording scores of 47.725 in both events.

“It’s bittersweet to have two good events and two that are not where we want to be,” Head Coach Sam Morreale said. “We have to be more consistent.”

Though the team as a whole had lower scores on both vault and beam, junior Morgan Hooper recorded a 9.775 to take second on the vault as an individual, while senior Mia Lord took home the beam competition, scoring a 9.725. 

Kofmehl took home the individual all around title for the meet with a four-event score of 38.400.

The team will now have a week break after opening the season with three meets in less than a week’s time. The Huskies return to action Feb. 11 when the squad travels to Mt. Pleasant, Michigan to take on the Central Michigan Chippewas in the team’s third MAC showdown of the season.