SGA Senate approves bill to reduce number of voter signatures

SGA Senate The Student Government Association Senate unanimously approved its first senator for the semester at Sunday’s meeting.

Courtesy of NIU Student Government Association

Student Government Association logo

By Ashley Dwy

DeKALB – Students looking to run for an executive position within the Student Government Association need 75 signatures instead of the previous 300 due to a bill that was amended on Sunday at SGA’s virtual meeting. Instead of the original 50 signatures that were to be verified, only 20 will be verified.

Originally, it was easy to collect 300 signatures because students were able to campaign in classrooms; however, that is not possible due to the COVID-19 restrictions, senator Michael Verlinksy said. 

“We wanted students that were already involved and connected to campus to be able to still apply for those positions, so we reached the number 75,” Verlinksy said.

A resolution was also adopted to approve a new timeline for the spring 2021 elections. 

Candidates’ registrations close March 5, and the ballot will be announced March 10, according to the resolution.

The elections themselves will take place March 30 and March 31, and the results will be announced no later than April 2, according to the resolution.

Other Business

SGA granted the National Society of Black Engineers $3,100 in supplemental funding. 

This supplemental funding will be used to cover the registration fee for their members to attend the 47th annual convention for the National Society of Black Engineers.

“We’re trying to allow 20 people to come to the convention, so they will be able to acquire scholarships and mentorships, and things of that nature,” said Jerrel Grays, treasurer for the National Society of Black Engineers. “They’ll be able to further their career as an engineer because they’ll be able to learn from all different kinds of companies.”