SGA candidate profile: Tim Moore

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Moore is running for a senator position for an NIU colleges & academics seat.

Name: Timothy (Tim) Moore

Year: First-year student

Major: Meteorology

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Why do you want to be part of SGA?

I would like to remain a part of SGA because of the leadership opportunities that are present. So far this semester, I have strengthened my ability to take initiative when involved with tasks. Taking over the secretary position for my committee not only allows me to be held accountable for keeping the minutes, it keeps me quick on my feet in thought and speeds up my thought processes.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

This semester, I hope to add to the number of garbage bins on campus. Especially in the residence hall areas, there are only a few garbage cans widely spaced out on campus. Knowing many college students will not take this extra walk to throw their trash away, I hope to add convenience with these new cans.

Why should students vote for you?

I believe students should vote in my favor because I want them to know not to feel hesitant when voicing an opinion or bringing an idea to the table, you never know who could be thinking of a groundbreaking idea!

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement?

While I have not been on campus long, NIU’s biggest area of improvement has to be the accessibility of opportunities for all students. With our wide range of different clubs, there seems to be a comfort zone for all students, they just have to apply themselves and seek the opportunities they feel they deserve!

Why is student government important to you? Why should the student body care about it?

Student government is important to me because it promotes regulation and neutrality. Keeping rules unbiased while enforcing them on a consistent basis opens the window for more ideas to be presented and further acted upon. There is no weight in bringing down other ideas and opportunities so there is an equal chance for every idea to be followed up on. The student body should care about the government because it will allow their voice to be heard. If anyone has an idea or opportunity they believe will benefit both NIU and its campus, please come to SGA and we will do whatever we can to make this idea become a reality. Together as a student body, we can make academic and campus life better for everyone every year.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.