Rape awareness program offered to NIU community

By Jayna Ronayne

For the sixth time in a row, NIU will host a program dealing with sexual assault and rape prevention, with additional new programs added on for this year.

Sponsored by the Residence Hall Association, the Campus Activities Board and the Office of Campus Recreation, Dan and Marie Lena from the organization People Against Rape will present “Hands Off I’m Special” on Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Sandburg Auditorium.

“The aim of the program is to educate the student population about the problem of rape on campuses (and) to educate men about some stereotyping they might do and on how to treat women,” said Gregory Post, president of the RHA.

“They also want to make women more aware of the options of what to do if they are raped or in a situation where rape is a possibility, and to educate them on how to help and try to avoid the situation,” he said.

“The program is part stand-up, very comical, and on the same token, very serious and educational,” Dan Lena said. “We will discuss male/female roles, love, sex, date rape, dating pressures, and stranger rape, among other things, with the underlying message being self esteem – ‘you are special,'” he said.

The new additions to the program consist of Thursday’s events. Three peer counseling sessions will be presented in various residence halls with a chance for closer interaction between those attending and the Lenas. The first will be at 10 a.m. in Grant Towers South, then again at 1 p.m. in Lincoln Hall and ending at 3 p.m. in Neptune Hall.

Lena said the counseling sessions will consist of discussions and an open forum to talk to men and women about rape and how they feel about it, with a relaxed discussion about related topics.

In addition, the OCR will host a three hour self-defense workshop on Thursday at 6 p.m. with “striking, kicking, screaming, yelling, and humorous stories we’ve come across in our sixteen years of travelling with our program,” Lena said. Those attending are welcome to sit out at any time during the workshop and “Guido the striking dummy will be there,” Lena said.

“All of the events are open to all students and faculty on campus at no charge,” Post said. “The program has gone over really well in past years, and the Lenas are very dynamic people who can deal with the subject so you can listen and understand. A lot of people have really enjoyed it and anyone is welcome to come.”