NIU reopens Student Emergency Fund applications

Northern Star File Photo

The Student Emergency Fund will remain open as long as funding is available.

By Gabriel Fiorini

DeKALB – NIU’s Student Emergency Fund reopened on Wednesday. All students currently enrolled in Fall 2021 courses are eligible to apply for up to $800 in funding. 

Grants offered through the Emergency Relief Fund are not available to those who have recently graduated. However, international students, undocumented students and students taking classes online are all eligible to apply.

In an attempt to provide assistance to as many students as possible, priority will be given to students who have not yet received emergency funding.

When an eligible student’s request is processed, grants will be dispersed through direct deposit or a printed refund check sent to the applicant’s local address.

Grants offered through the fund can be used to cover attendance related expenses, such as tuition, fees, housing, books and personal expenses. For more information on payment policies and other options, contact the Bursar’s Office.

The emergency fund was established as a way to provide financial assistance to those directly affected by COVID-19 or those whose circumstances have been worsened as a result of the pandemic.  

To apply for assistance, visit the Student Emergency Fund’s website. For more information about the Student Emergency Fund, contact the Center for Student Affairs by calling 815-753-8300 or by emailing [email protected]. To donate to the fund, visit NIU Foundation’s Donation Page.