Black Male Initiative to host week of events

BMI+will+host+events+on+the+week+of+Sept.+18-24.+The+BMI+basketball+tournament+will+be++from+noon-5+p.m.+on+Sept.+18+at+Stevenson+courts.+

Courtesy of Tayveun Williams

BMI will host events on the week of Sept. 18-24. The BMI basketball tournament will be from noon-5 p.m. on Sept. 18 at Stevenson courts.

By Northern Star Staff

The Black Male Initiative (BMI) will be hosting events on NIU’s campus throughout the week. BMI is an organization whose goal is to graduate as many Black male students as possible and guide them to be productive and successful members of society. Founded in 2001, BMI has been dedicated to community service, mentorship and leadership. BMI also puts emphasis on image busting, which works to defeat the stereotypes plaguing Black men. 

Dates for the events will take place from the week of Sept. 18-24. 

Sept. 18: Basketball tournament

This tournament will be located by Stevenson courts from Noon to 5 p.m and will consist of eight teams competing for a cash prize. The entrance fee is $50 per team.

Sept. 20: Informational

This will be located in the Campus Life Building from 5 to 7 p.m. Business- casual attire is highly recommended and will consist of information pertaining to BMI as well as financial aid assistance and counseling. 

Sept. 21: Suited N Booted (fashion show)

Come in your best dressed on this date to the Duke Ellington Ballroom located in the Holmes Student Center. This will take place from 5 to 9 p.m.

Sept. 22: Academic road map

Students in need of guidance in mapping out their road map for academic success are invited to the Capital Room, also located at the Holmes Student Center.

Sept. 23: Pie a BMI guy

Taking place at the MLK Commons from noon-2p.m., students can pay to smash a pie in the face of a BMI guy of their choice.

Sept. 23: Spades tournament (grand prize)

This event will be located in the Campus Life Building, Room 100 from 5-9 p.m. RSVP is required. Must contact Tayveun Williams, director of marketing of BMI at [email protected].   

Sept. 24: Outside again (field day)

Students are invited to come outside by the Stevenson Towers area for a field day filled with activities from 3-6 p.m.