Top 5 DeKalb coffee shops

Getty Images

A cup of coffee with latte art surrounded by loose coffee beans on a wooden table.

By Janyce-Monique Johnson

If you’re a college student, you probably drink coffee. There have been many times where I did not get enough sleep, or I had an early class, which meant having some coffee in the morning. While I prefer to make coffee at home, because you can make it to your liking and it’ll save you money, sometimes it isn’t as convenient. So, here’s a list of the top five coffee places in DeKalb for you, fellow NIU students.

1) Starbucks 

I know what some of you are thinking: “Starbucks over Dunkin’?” I think Starbucks is a great choice because their coffee is good across the board, hot, cold, iced and blended. Starbucks also offers tasty breakfast and bakery items; I personally recommend their coffee cake (warmed, of course). There is a Starbucks location on campus in the Holmes Student Center, and there’s a location close to campus at 1015 W. Lincoln Highway.

2) Dunkin’ Donuts 

Even though Dunkin’ is not my personal favorite, I do think their coffee is good. The prices are much lower than at Starbucks, and Dunkin’ also offers some tasty breakfast items; I personally recommend their hash browns and avocado toast. There is a Dunkin’ close to campus located at 1101 W. Lincoln Highway.

3) Einstein Bros. Bagels 

I think this place is vastly underrated because they have some good coffee options and yummy food. If you want your coffee and a breakfast sandwich that isn’t simply thrown in the microwave, Einstein is a great option. There is an Einstein Bros. location on campus in Founders Memorial Library.

4) Cast Iron Coffee 

If you’re looking for a “hole in the wall” coffee place, then Cast Iron, 901 Lucinda Ave., might be the place for you. I haven’t personally tried it, but one of my roommates works there, and she raves about it, so you bet I’m checking it out soon. They also have a high rating on Google. They offer an assortment of pastries, including scones and muffins. Cast Iron is conveniently located on Lucinda Avenue in the same area as the comic bookstore and Shark’s Fish and Chicken.

5) Barb City Bagels 

I have also never tried Barb City Bagels, 118 E. Lincoln Highway, before, but I had to add them to the list simply because their reviews and rating speak to their credibility as a legit coffee shop. They have 253 reviews on Google and a 4.6 star rating. Similarly to Einstein, they have delicious bagel sandwiches, along with fairly priced coffee. They serve cappuccinos, mochas, lattes, iced coffee, hot coffee, all that you’re looking for. They are located on East Lincoln Highway, so if you’re driving to class, try it out. I know I will.