SGA approves first Supreme Court justice for fall semester

Zulfiqar Ahmed I Northern Star

SGA had their meeting Sunday in the Capitol Room of the Holmes Student Center.

By Kierra Frazier

DeKALB – Natalya Jarvis, a graduate student, is the first SGA Supreme Court justice to be approved for the fall semester after the Student Government Association Government Senate voted unanimously to approve the appointment.

Jarvis said the role of a Supreme Court justice allows her the opportunity to be a “fair and just influence on campus.” 

Jarvis said she heard about the position from Joseph Lovelace, director of Student Legal Services. 

“I believe that I will be able to be an unbiased and impartial member of the court,” Jarvis said. “I look forward to the opportunity to be a thorough and informed and decisive member of the Supreme Court, who is dedicated to ensuring that our bylaws and Constitution are upheld.” 

The SGA Supreme Court is composed of five justices who interpret the constitution and bylaws of SGA-recognized organizations, rule on appeals relating to the proper conduct of elections and more, according to the SGA Constitution.

Senator Clayton Schopfer said Jarvis is the most qualified person for the position and that there’s not anyone else “worthy of being a Supreme Court justice.” 

Jarvis said she’s read through the SGA Constitution and the bylaws and is excited for the opportunity to fulfill the role. 

The SGA Senate also approved Senator Amit Patel as the director of student and cultural affairs at Sunday’s meeting. Patel will be responsible for monitoring and providing recommendations on all issues affecting students’ quality of life and promoting a diverse campus culture.

Patel said as the director, he plans to attend all the Residence Hall Association meetings, make parking more accessible and increase student participation at athletic events. 

Senator Harvey Green asked Patel about any plans he had to promote cultural affairs on campus. 

“I’m mostly focusing on the student life portion, but I will definitely get on the cultural aspects because that’s also an important part,” Patel said. “But, definitely hearing out the problems that students are having and finding a solution is what I want to do.”