FAFSA applications open Oct. 1

Getty Images

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now open.

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now open. It is advised that students apply for federal aid as possible.

FAFSA allows students who apply to receive federal funding for the 2022-2023 academic year. To qualify to receive financial aid through the program, FAFSA requires that students demonstrate financial need, have a valid social security number and maintain satisfactory academic progress, among other eligibility criteria.

A new development in this year’s requirements is that registration status with the Selective Service no longer affects one’s eligibility to receive aid, according to FAFSA’s website. However, the option to register is still available on the application.

It is important to note that states and colleges may have different deadlines for receiving FAFSA applications. Illinois asks that students apply as soon as possible after Oct. 1.  The state offers its students funds from the Monetary Award Program (MAP) through grants based on data from the FAFSA Application. Awards are made until allocated funding has been depleted.

In most cases, a FAFSA application must be filed for students to be considered for federal and state grants. Institutions also used it to determine eligibility for scholarships and work study. Funds from grants and earnings from work study are generally not expected to be repaid.

The window to complete this year’s application will close at 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2023. Corrections or updates to any applications must be made by the same time on Sept. 10, 2023.