Noted professor to lecture at NIU

By Dashaun Hits

Is there life after Ronald Reagan?

Faculty and students interested in the answer to this question can attend a lecture by famed Professor Theodore Lowi entitled “The End of the Republican Era: Is There Life After Reagan” tonight at 8:30 p.m. in DuSable Hall, Room 204. The lecture is sponsored by the department of political science and the Graduate Colloquium Committee.

Lowi is the John Senior Distinguished Professor of American Government at Cornell University.

He was chosen to give the lecture because “he’s widely regarded as one of the most effective (lecturers) and someone who has given major contribution to government and public policy,” said Robert Albritton, NIU political science professor.

“The purpose of Professor Lowi’s lecture is to provide NIU students with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of the outside world,” Albritton said.

Lowi wrote a book titled, “The End of Liberalism,” that argues against the exercise of discretion in administration of government bureaucracies.

He will speak again Friday at 10 a.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Room 406. The topic will be “The Task of Policy Studies.”

Lowi was president of the American Political Science Association from 1991-92. His presidential address, published in the American Political Science Review, is titled “The State in Political Science: How We Became What We Study.”

“I’m looking forward to his lecture, which will be a privilege to faculty and students,” Albritton said.

The Graduate Colloquium Committee will present several other free lectures during the next two days.

University of Chicago Anthropologist Marshall Sahlins will present “Social Science, or the Tragic Western Sense of Human Imperfection” tonight at 8 p.m. in the HSC, Room 405.

Sahlins will also discuss “History and Ethnography” Friday at 10 a.m. in Stevens Building, Room 104.

Rutgers University History Professor Bonnie Smith will address “Gender, Objectivity and the Rise of Scientific History” tonight at 8:30 p.m. at Swen Parson Hall’s Moot Court Room.

Smith, described by NIU History Professor Stephen Kern as “one of the leading feminist historians in the United States,” will conduct a seminar on “Methodologies in the History of Women” Friday at 9 a.m. in Watson Hall, Room 100.

Martha Tabis, an electronic data interchange consultant, will address “Strategic Planning in Retailing in the Nineties” today at 4 p.m. in Wirtz Hall, Room 321.