NIU to host ‘Trumpet Day’ for players of all ages

Northern Star File Photo

Trumpeters will be working with Christopher Scanlon, Pharez Whitted, Tom Bough on “Trumpet Day” at NIU on Nov. 19.

By Aidan Bengford

DeKALB —  Trumpeters will be working with Christopher Scanlon, Pharez Whitted, Tom Bough on “Trumpet Day” at NIU on Nov. 19. The event is intended for all levels of trumpet players from high school amateur to undergraduate players to trumpet players of all ages.

Students will first arrive and mingle in the school of music concert hall lobby at 9:30 a.m.. Then  at 11a.m. there will be a class on the fundamentals taught by all three men leading the Trumpet day. Students will have lunch starting at noon, then a Masterclass with Pharez Whitted and Christopher Scanlon, and a short break before a faculty concert, Afterward at 4 p.m. trumpeters will learn about life as music student with Brigid Crawford followed by an optional concert at 7 p.m. of the NIU Wind Ensemble featuring Christopher Scanlon as a trumpet soloist.

The NIU School of Music is located at 550 Lucinda Ave.

Throughout the day, trumpet players can talk to Mike Edwards from the Windy City Trumpeters, who has “an exhibition of instruments/mouthpiece/mutes/cases and more for you to explore!”

To attend the event, register using this form before the deadline on Nov. 5. Registration costs $20 for a full day of learning.

If you wish to cancel, you’ll have to do so at least five days before the event to get a refund. Contact Kristin Sherman at [email protected] or 815-753-1450 for any questions or if you change your mind about going. For more information, go to the Trumpet Day website.